• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Guys...question about your puberty?

zombiesarepeaceful

Bluelighter
Yeah another strange question. If this is in the wrong place feel free to move it.

I was wondering...since I've been on T for 2 weeks and my throat has felt like death on a stick lately...and my voice is finally dropping and staying there...

When you guys hit puberty, and your voice started to drop, did your throat get sore? What did it feel like? Just wondering if cis guys had the same issue.

I don't remember any pain or soreness... but, you have to keep in mind that puberty is still a drawn out process. the T levels don't just go from zero to sixty overnight. I don't know what your dosage and whatnot are but I bet it isn't a nice slow increase over a few years. keep that in mind.

I wanted to post and say that I had a sore throat when my voice dropped. I was away at intermediate camp, and it hurt for a few days. I remember I couldn't speak without squeaking.

My solution was to gargle salt water, and this seemed to soothe the pain.

Change hurts, but it's only natural. Love and good luck with your change.

Um...I'm 20. But I'm on hormone replacement. We'll just keep it simple and say that my body doesn't make enough T for a normal guy.

I'm on 200mg every other week. Just did my second shot yesterday.

dont remember any sore throat, other than my choir teacher being convinced i was still a first tenor long after i dropped to a low baritone and making me stay there. Singing that high definitely put a strain on my vocal cords, and i had a sore throat for a good six months after that, so its possible

Um...I'm 20. But I'm on hormone replacement. We'll just keep it simple and say that my body doesn't make enough T for a normal guy.

I'm on 200mg every other week. Just did my second shot yesterday.

what a minute... arnt you/werent you a girl? or am i totally mistaken? or is that what you meant by keep it simple? no need to respond if you dont want to.

in answer to your question, no i never had any soreness from my voice dropping, though as others have said, it took a while, if your getting huge hormore replacements then its possible the sudden influx of T could cause a sore throat in your situation. i think the salt water suggestion is a good idea.

You should probably contact your doctor if you havent already. I googled testosterone sore throat and it looks to be a side effect of certain medication.

My throat was sore when my voice was changing. But mine wasnt like some guys where it just happens almost overnight, it just happened ever so slightly each week over a year or two, and when it was more rapid than normal my throat would get sore.

Yeah,mine hurt for a day or two leading up to my voice going, then breaking.

Last edited:
Can't say that I noticed any pain or soreness, but as others noted - there wasn't a quick change, it was gradual over a long period of time. There was the sqwuakiness at times as the voice broke, but no soreness that I recall.

when my voice started changing/breaking i would get slightly sore throats but nothing really bothersome.